Friday, October 7, 2011

Time At The Timeshare

We have a week at the timeshare, from 10/1-10/8. It is located in Canet en Rousillon, a beach town on the Mediterranean in the South of France, not too far from the border of Spain. The closest city is Perpignan. As beach towns go, the beach is great but the town is a bit 'tired' and run down...just like the timeshare!! And sometimes just like me! After the hassle of checking in and getting a somewhat decent unit, two hours had passed. It was 7:00 p.m. and we still had to go to the grocery store. It was closing at 8:00 p.m. and would be closed all day Sunday. The clock was ticking. We were exhausted, as we had been rushing around for a week. We did our shopping, and then we did the unthinkable...we went to McDonalds for dinner. Yes, we actually did. There wasn't anywhere else around. We were tired and hungry. I have spent about 12 weeks in Europe in the last 5 years and this was the first time I ever ate there, so I guess that's not too bad. We both got wraps and I have to say, it was not my worst meal of the trip. That prize goes to the mystery meat burgers we had in Barcelona. Those were the two meals we were too tired to care about, and just needed to eat something.




Our first 2 days here we spent some time at a couple of beaches, and then just explored the immediate area. 

We also spent a day in Carcassonne, a medieval village and fortress. It was very interesting. In the afternoon we took a boat cruise down the Canal du Midi. The canal runs from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean. Of course we didn't go that far, but we did go through two locks. It was a lot of fun and the experience has convinced me that I would like to rent a canal boat for a few days and wander through the French countryside, stopping in villages along the way. I think it would be nice to do that in the Burgandy region. The personal boats had bikes on them, so people could ride along the canal on the tow path.







We spent another day driving south along the coast. We saw Collioure, a very nice town with a so-so beach, and Banyuls-sur-Mer, a nice town with a horrible beach. The beach looked like dirt and rocks. Not too relaxing as far as I am concerned! Banyuls is just before the border of Spain.






Yesterday we took another scenic drive, this time inland towards the Pyrenees mountains. We went to the village of Castelnou, which is considered one of the most beautiful villages in France. I can see why! We toured the Chateau de Castelnou, and Marie bought a bottle of their wine.




We have had perfect weather since arriving in Barcelona on September 25th. Until today. Now it is overcast, cool and VERY windy. I guess this is just nature's way of transitioning us to what we will find in Paris. Today we will explore Perpignan a little and get ready to leave here in the morning. We have decided that a week here is 2-3 days too long. We are ready to get going to our next destination. Paris, here we come.......

No comments:

Post a Comment