So many more towns today - Broadway, Winchcombe, Stanway, Stanton, Ford, Upper Swell & Lower Swell, Cleeve Hill...I'm sure I'm missing some towns. We went back to Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water today and spent some more time in them. We passed through the town where Nigel's parents are buried, so we stopped so he could pay his respects. The Cemetary and specifically their shared grave is directly across the street from the Pub that his uncle owned.
We went to the Stanway House. It's closed for the season, but the gardens were open to raise money for charity. The gardens were definitely last their prime, but the house is very impressive from the outside. The house is owned by the Earl of Wemyss, whose family tree charts relatives back to 1202. There is a fountain on the property that claims to be the tallest fountain in Britain. It's gravity powered and it shoots water 300 feet into the air. There was also a Tithe Barn that dates back to the 14th century. It was there before the manor house was built.
For dinner we went to The Eight Bells Pub in Chipping Campden. It's a 14th century inn. Considering we were exhausted the day we arrived and we didn't really care what we had (fish & chips), and we didn't eat dinner yesterday, I'd say it's the best dinner we've had since we've been in England.
We've enjoyed our time here. I would say that I found Bourton-on-the-Water to be the most picturesque town. There were more tourists there, but I can see why. I also liked Chipping Campden a lot and think it made a good base to see the other towns. Actually, all the towns we saw were good. I thoroughly enjoyed our time in the area, and Nigel & Carol were a big part of that.
Our B&B, Bramley House, has been very nice. Our room is clean and comfortable. The breakfasts are good. The owner, Jane, has been helpful and is very sweet. I would definitely stay here again.
Tomorrow we say goodbye to the Cotswolds and drive to York.




No comments:
Post a Comment