Thursday, June 9, 2016

Bonn

Wednesday, June 8, 2016
Today Danielle and I met Sascha at the train station and we went to Bonn,  Bonn was the capital of Germany before it moved to Berlin.  There are still government buildings there, as well as United Nations buildings.  


We went to the Museum of Contemporary History of the Federal Republic of Germany.  It covered the history of Germany since 1945.   There wasn't a guided tour in English, so we got audio guides.  It was very interesting to see information about WWII from the German perspective.    After the war the German economy was devastated and families had been torn apart.  The following decades brought many challenges.

Section of the Berlin Wall

Later we had a very nice lunch, then walked around Bonn.  


These were the signs at the restaurant announcing what door to go for the bathroom.

Danielle took the train back to Cologne and I went to Sasha's choir rehearsal.  She directs a jazz choir that is getting ready to record their 2nd CD. I enjoyed listening to the beautiful voices and seeing Sascha at work.  I wish I had a small percentage of her musical talents.  A choir member drove us back to Cologne.  Since it was late it was decided that I would spend the night at Sascha's.  Otherwise I would go to Sascha's and then Marc would drive me to Danielle's.  We would arrive very late.  It was too far out of the way for the choir member to drop me off at Danielle's.  Sascha called Danielle and told her what the plan was.  When we got back to Cologne we coincidentally drove right by Danielle's.  Of course she wasn't expecting me and was probably in bed.  

Sascha and Marc live on the 5th floor (no elevator) and have a spectacular view of the cathedral.


This is the view in the daytime -

  

No comments:

Post a Comment