Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Last Day In Paris

We leave Paris early tomorrow morning.  Sniff, sniff... I hate to go, because I do love this city.  Even though there are frustrations dealing with big city issues, there is just something about this place that keeps me wanting to come back for more.

This morning we walked over to the Grand Mosque in the 5th Arrondisment.  It was built after WWI and during WWII they hid Jews and helped them escape the Nazi's.  I've never been in a mosque before and I found it very interesting.  Not knowing the customs we were a bit intimidated.  We didn't want to offend anyone.



We then walked a couple of blocks to the old roman arena.  It's very close to the apartment we rented on Rue des Boulangers.  We tried to see it on that trip, but it was winter and it was locked up.



We had to walk past our old street to get to our next stop.  I loved that apartment.  We would be staying there on this trip, except the price went up so high we can no longer afford it.


Our next stop was the Army Museum and Napolean's Tomb (Musée de l'Armee).  The Hôtel des Invalides is a former veterans' hospital and an army museum.  It also houses Napolean's very ornate tomb.




After we finished there we had one more important task.  We had a little shopping to do.  We are taking some macarons to Germany.  I hope the family likes them!!


But first, one last look at the Eiffel Tower.


It was time to call it a day.  We are all walked out.  We will be happy for the long train ride tomorrow.  But first we have to get our things together to go.  I spoke to my aunt Barbara and we arranged how she would pick us up from the train station in Hannover.  She said her sister has more room at her place, so we will be staying there.  Dagmar doesn't speak English.  Yikes.  Then she called me back to tell me that there may be a train strike tomorrow.  If it happens, the trains will stop at whatever the closest station is after 2:00.  Our train is supposed to arrive at 2:28.  She told me not to worry.  If we get stuck at a station she will pick us up there.  Fingers crossed the strike doesn't happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment