Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Market Day in St. Remy

I woke up this morning to the sounds of the Wednesday market being set up.  The vendors were talking to each other as they prepared for the morning ahead.  I looked out the window and saw this -


As time went by more and more vendors appeared, setting up their tables and arranging their wares.  I've been looking forward to this.  I knew the market would be at our doorstep when I found this apartment to rent.  By the time it was fully light outside, the view out of our window looked like this -


This was just a small fraction of the market.  We spent all morning checking out all the vendors.  They sold everything - meats, cheeses, soaps, clothing, shoes, flowers, spices, table & bed linens, veggies...




People come from all over to buy things at the market.  Most towns have a market day.  Some towns that are a little bigger have two markets a week.  St. Remy isn't very big, but they also have a Saturday market.  I had a lot of pasta with pesto left over from dinner last night.  Our plan was to buy a rotisserie chicken at the market, then have dinner in the apartment tonight.  We saw two places with chicken, but we decided to wait a bit.  We didn't want to carry it around.  We waited too long.  When we went back to the first chicken place they were totally out.  The second chicken place had two, but they were reserved.  Reserved?  Who knew?  We blew it.  

We had a big lunch.  Omlettes, salad and dessert.  They eat omlettes here for lunch or dinner.  Breakfast is very light.  Usually a croissant or similar, and coffee.  Think of a Continental breakfast.  Jim  was so happy that he didn't have to share the dessert with me.  And he got coffee.  Remember the thimble sized coffee I mentioned before?  That's what he got.  Here he is, enjoying it.  Oh yeah, it was only half full!


So no chicken for dinner tonight.  But we didn't really need it after that big lunch.  The pesto pasta, salad and a fresh baguette was perfect.  And there was plenty of bread left for sandwiches for our picnic lunch tomorrow.  We will be off to explore the Luberon area of Provence.

No comments:

Post a Comment